Dental Exams and X-Rays in Sacramento
Dental exams & dental x-rays are the single best way to protect yourself against serious oral health issues. But despite this fact, only about 64% of Americans regularly visit the dentist for exams, cleanings, and x-rays.
While there are many reasons that Americans tend to avoid regular dentist appointments, it’s important to make time for regular oral examinations. Our dentist, Dr. Redford, and our team of Sacramento oral health professionals specialize in providing quick, efficient dental exams.
Whether you haven’t had a dental exam in years, or are simply interested in switching to a new dentist, contact us right away at (916) 565-2570 for an appointment.
Why Dental Exams/X-Rays are Important
Regular dental exams and x-rays are incredibly important for a number of reasons. Here are some of the biggest reasons you need to regularly have your mouth examined by Dr. Redford at Redford Smiles.
- Catch potentially dangerous oral health issues – Dr. Redford can detect oral health problems like periodontal disease, tooth decay, and infection can all be detected early stages of progression. This makes it easy to treat these oral health issues, and adjust your oral care routine to ensure they do not recur.
- Save time and money – By having a regular oral exam performed at Redford Smiles, you can be sure that your mouth is in great shape. This helps you avoid potentially expensive tooth restorations, such as fillings for tooth decay, and periodontal treatments.
- Maintain a healthier smile – Everyone wants a healthy smile. By regularly having your mouth examined by Dr. Redford, you can be sure that your teeth are clean, healthy, and free of common problems such as tooth decay.
- Early cancer detection – Dental exams and x-rays are the only way to detect potentially life-threatening cases of oral cancer. Often, oral cancer is not caught until it has metastasized, so it has a very high mortality rate. However, dental exams allow Dr. Redford to examine you for signs of oral cancer. If oral cancer is caught early, the prognosis is much better.
For these four reasons and many more, you need to get a regular dental exam and x-ray screening. Contact Redford Smiles to schedule your appointment now at (916) 565-2570.
How Often Should You Get a Dental Exam?
For best results, you should see Dr. Redford for a dental exam every six months. This allows Dr. Redford to track the health of your mouth, and regularly analyze your oral health to detect any potential problem areas.
X-rays are usually not required at every dental exam. If you have recently suffered from an advanced case of tooth decay or gum disease, Dr. Redford may take x-rays every six months.
However, if your mouth is otherwise healthy, you’ll usually only need a full set of dental x-rays to be taken every 1-2 years. Depending on your past oral history, this time-frame may vary.
What’s The Difference Between Digital And Traditional X-Rays?
At Redford Smiles, we’re proud to use digital x-ray technology to serve our patients more effectively. Curious about the difference between digital and traditional x-rays?
Traditional x-rays utilize a film-based negative to take images of your mouth. This is very similar to how a traditional camera works. While traditional x-rays are accurate and effective, they take much longer to perform, due to the time film takes to develop. In addition, traditional x-rays can expose you to greater levels of radiation if multiple re-takes are required.
Digital x-rays, on the other hand, use an advanced computer display and an x-ray sensor to capture images of your teeth. These images are available for analysis almost immediately. Compared to traditional x-rays, digital x-rays have a number of advantages:
- Lower radiation exposure – Digital sensors are more sensitive than film, requiring less radiation for each x-ray exposure. This reduces your total level of radiation exposure. Some digital x-rays can reduce the level of radiation exposure by up to 90%, compared to traditional x-rays.
- Faster treatment times – Because digital x-rays for viewing almost immediately, Dr. Redford can more quickly assess your oral health, and provide you with a faster overall visit. This reduces the time you spend in the dentist’s chair, and waiting around in the lobby!
- Higher quality images – Images captured by digital x-ray machines can be manipulated, filtered, and enhanced. Using digital x-ray technology, Dr. Redford can more easily diagnose tricky oral health issues, and ensure that your mouth is healthy.
Are X-Rays Dangerous?
X-rays, both digital and traditional, expose patients to a small amount of ionizing radiation, which is a factor that can lead to cancer. Naturally, this has led some people to question whether or not x-rays are dangerous.
So what’s the answer? X-rays are not dangerous.
The radiation exposure of an x-ray is extremely low. A full-mouth x-ray using traditional film exposes you to a radiation dose of about 0.005 mSv. This is the same dose of radiation you would be exposed to on a 2-hour airplane flight.
When administered properly, there is no evidence that x-rays contribute to any kind of cancer risk. In addition, Redford Smiles uses shielding equipment like lead vests to protect you against radiation exposure, further decreasing the dose received during the x-ray imaging process.
Schedule An Appointment Today
If you have neglected regular dental exams and dental x-rays in the past, now is the time to start seeing our Sacramento dentist, Dr. Redford. Redford Smiles is the best general dentistry practice in the area.
Dr. Redford focuses on patient education, and takes an informative approach to dental exams. With advanced technology and expert dental examination techniques, he can help you gain a better understanding of your oral health. You can also avoid potentially expensive and painful conditions such as tooth decay, periodontal disease, and more.
Don’t wait. Contact us to make an appointment today at (916)-565-2570, or visit our Sacramento office at 79 Scripps Dr. Suite 204, Sacramento, CA 95608.