Sedation Dentist in Sacramento
Sedation dentistry from Redford Smiles is the best way to visit the dentist without fear. Dr. Redford is an experienced sedation dentist, and he specializes in conscious sedation using safe, effective prescription drugs.
If you have dental anxiety, or are worried about an upcoming surgery or procedure, give us a call at (916) 565-2570 today to learn more about sedation dentistry at Redford Smiles. Learn more about sedation dentistry below!
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is the practice of using drug-induced sedation to prevent anxiety, reduce patient discomfort, and lower your level of consciousness during dental procedures and oral surgeries.
Sedation dentistry is commonly used for more invasive procedures such as root canals and gingivectomies. However, if you suffer from dental anxiety, you may be able to undergo sedation even for more routine procedures, such as dental exams and teeth cleanings.
Can Sedation Dentistry Treat Dental Anxiety?
Dental anxiety is very common. It has been estimated that around 15 million Americans suffer from some kind of dental anxiety. For most people, dental anxiety is not a huge problem. But for those who suffer severe dental anxiety, going to the dentist can be very intimidating.
Sedation dentistry, along with Dr. Redford’s friendly and patient approach to dental care, can help you get the treatment you need, while avoiding discomfort and fear.
If dental anxiety has prevented you from seeking dental treatment in the past, contact Redford Smiles now. We can inform you about your options, such as conscious sedation, and get you the help you need for a healthy mouth!
When Is Sedation Dentistry Used?
Sedation dentistry is usually used for procedures that are invasive, such as wisdom teeth extractions, root canals, or dental implants. However, sedation dentistry can be used for almost any procedure, especially if you:
- Have a very low pain threshold
- Have difficulties staying still in the dentist’s chair
- Are experiencing severe tooth sensitivity
- Have a strong gag reflex
- Require multiple simultaneous dental procedures
If you would like to be sedated during your next procedure at Redford Smiles, let our team know. We can discuss your needs with Dr. Redford, and discuss whether or not sedation dentistry is appropriate for you.
What Kinds Of Sedation Dentistry Are Available?
There are three types of sedation that are typically used in dentistry.
- Inhaled Minimal Sedation (Laughing Gas) – Nitrous oxide, commonly known as “laughing gas” is combined with oxygen, and pumped through a mask that is placed over your face. This gas has the effect of aiding in relaxation, and helps take your mind off of your procedure, while having a minimal effect on your level of consciousness.The biggest advantage of using nitrous oxide is that it wears off very quickly, usually within 5 minutes. This means that you will be able to drive yourself both to and from Redford Smiles.
- Oral Sedation – Oral sedation is the most common type of sedation at Redford Smiles. Dr. Redford will prescribe a combination of pain medication and anti-anxiety medication. You will take these drugs together, usually about a half-hour before your appointment.Oral sedation will make you feel drowsy, and minimize any discomfort that you experience during your procedure. Usually you will remain awake and conscious. However, you might fall asleep during the procedure. You will need someone to drive you home, as the effects will last for several hours after the procedure.
- IV Sedation – IV sedation is less common for most dental procedures. It usually uses the same kind of drugs as oral sedation, but an IV is used so that the drugs take effect immediately, and the dosage can be continually adjusted. Typically, IV sedation is only used for severe cases of dental anxiety, or during longer and more complex dental procedures. As with oral sedation, you will not be able to drive yourself home after undergoing IV sedation.
Technically, general anesthesia is a type of sedation dentistry. Under a general anesthetic, you will be completely unconscious and unaware of the procedure. Usually, this is only used for invasive dental surgeries, so we do not really consider it as being part of “sedation dentistry”.
Can Kids Be Treated With Sedation Dentistry?
Yes! Children can be sedated for a dental procedure. This is quite common for younger children who have a problem like a cavity, and require dental fillings. Sedation helps keep children calm in the dentist’s chair, and reduces their anxiety.
Usually, Dr. Redford will use laughing gas to treat children who require sedation. This will help them remain calm, but allow them to recover their normal state of consciousness quickly.
If your child has dental anxiety, or requires a more invasive procedure, oral sedation may be recommended by Dr. Redford, after an initial consultation.
Is Sedation Dentistry Safe?
Yes! Sedation dentistry is very safe. Nitrous oxide has no side effects and is totally safe, and common oral sedation and IV sedation medications like Halcion are safe too.
However, you should consult with Dr. Redford before you undergo a procedure using sedation dentistry.
Issues like obesity and obstructive sleep apnea may affect your ability to be sedated in the dentist’s chair. Discuss your medical history with Dr. Redford, and make sure you inform him of any previous health problems.
Give Us A Call To Schedule An Appointment
If you need a sedation dentist in Sacramento, Dr. Redford is a great choice. The team at Redford Smiles has years of experience in conscious sedation.
We can recommend the sedation treatment that is right for your comfort levels and your procedure, and ensure that your time at Redford Smiles is comfortable and anxiety-free.
So do not fear the dentist! Visit our testimonials page to see how we’ve treated patients with dental anxiety, and come to Redford Smiles today! Give us a call to schedule an appointment at (916) 565-2570, or come in for a visit! Our address is: 79 Scripps Dr. Suite 204, Sacramento, CA 95825.